Genesee Health System (GHS) is Genesee County’s public mental health provider. GHS has provided services to Genesee County residents for more than 50 years.
Assisted Outpatient Treatment (AOT) is a program within Genesee Health System. It is designed to provide assistance to adults with severe mental illness who have been court ordered to participate in treatment and assists in obtaining a court order for someone in need of a treatment order.
The program provides a collaborative approach among key community providers to best help our consumers get the treatment they need.
What is Assisted Outpatient Treatment or AOT?
Assisted outpatient treatment (AOT) is court-ordered treatment for people with mental illness who meet strict legal criteria of a person requiring treatment.
Most commonly, they are too ill to recognize their own need for mental health care.
An AOT order is a civil commitment court order that mandates an individual to participate in necessary outpatient treatment so they can continue to live safely in the community.
The AOT Program at GHS:
- Oversees all AOT orders in Genesee County
- Provides education and support regarding AOT orders
- Provides assistance with obtaining/continuing an AOT order
- For persons/patients violating AOT orders, the program
- Communicates with Probate Court
- Provides Case Management for some consumers on AOTs that have more intensive needs
- Meets regularly with stakeholders in the community to identify and problem-solve treatment barriers
Who is Eligible?
Adults who are aged 18 years and older with a mental illness and lack insight into their need for treatment. Contact the AOT program at (810) 257-3714 (ask for the AOT program) for more information.
I’m on a court order or deferral. What does that mean?
- Click here if you are on a court order.
- Click here if you are on a deferral.
- Click here if you are in the AOT program to view the AOT Program Consumer Handbook
Request Help from the AOT Program:
To contact someone in the AOT program, please call (810) 496-5388, email AOTProgram@genhs.org or call (810) 257-3714 and ask for a monitor in the AOT Program.
Click here to view the AOT Referral Flyer. Fax your completed form to (810)762-5234, ATTN: AOT Program.
OR click here to fill out the referral form online.
Click here to view the AOT Violations Flyer.
OR click here to fill out the violation form online.