Genesee Health System (GHS) is Genesee County’s public mental health provider. GHS has provided services to Genesee County residents for nearly 60 years.
In 2014 the GHS Children’s Autism Center, now called the CIS Learning Center, was opened and offered Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) services for eligible children in Genesee County.
In 2017 the Autism Center expanded to include Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) testing.
Most recently, the CIS Learning Center was added to offer assessments to those children and individuals impacted by the Flint Water Crisis.
Who We Are?
The CIS Assessment Clinic has highly trained doctoral level licensed neuropsychologists who study how learning and behavior are related to brain development and neural networks through comprehensive neuropsychological assessments.
What is a Neuropsychological Assessment?
Neuropsychological assessments take a look into how a child or an individual:
- Problem Solves
- Remembers short and long term information
- Uses and understands language
- Processes information
How can a Neuropsychological Assessment Help?
- Identifies a child's strengths and weaknesses
- Helps parents and professionals understand the reasons behind a child's difficulties
- (e.g., processing/thinking, learning, emotions and behaviors, etc.)
- Identifies educational and behavioral health treatment needs
- Provides a comprehensive list of recommendations and next steps
- Helps the child and family be able to access recommended services, such as educational, behavioral health, and medical healthcare services
Who is Eligible?
To receive a Medicaid covered, FREE brief screening to determine medical necessity for a neuropsychological assessment, the individual must meet ALL of the following:
- Be between 3 and 17 years of age
- Has not yet graduated from High School
- Lived, worked or attended day-care/school in Flint or surrounding areas supplied by the lead-contaminated Flint water, anytime from April 2014 to September 2021.
- Currently reside in Genesee County
- Has active Medicaid
If you are not sure about eligibility, please call the NCE at 810-496-5677 to discuss.
How Do I Get Started?
If you would like to request an assessment please do one of the following:
- Call us at (810) 496-5677
- Complete the online registration form by clicking here
- Download, print, and fax the referral form back to (810) 257-3757
- Contact the Flint Registry
What is Next?
Once the referral has been received, CIS Assessment Clinic will contact the child/individual’s parent/guardian and begin the screening process.
Who We Are
Assessment & Referral